Horace Mann partners with the NEA Foundation to recognize, reward and promote excellence in teaching through the annual Horace Mann Awards for Teaching Excellence.
In February, five educators from around the country will be recognized with the 2017 Horace Mann Awards for Teaching Excellence. We congratulate:
- Carol Bauer, a fourth grade educator at Grafton Bethel Elementary School in Yorktown, Virginia;
- Sonia Galaviz, a fifth grade educator at Garfield Elementary School in Boise, Idaho;
- Stephanie Johnson, a second grade teacher at HB Rhame Elementary School in Columbia, South Carolina;
- Melissa Ladd, a fifth grade educator at Poplar Road Elementary School in Shaprsburg, Georgia; and
- Dr. Al Rabanera, a mathematics educator at La Vista High School in Fullerton, California.
Each recipient receives $10,000 and recognition at the NEA Foundation's Salute to Excellence in Education Gala on February 10, 2017.
2018 Nomination Process
Each spring, the NEA Foundation accepts nominations from NEA federal, state and direct affiliates for the Horace Mann Awards for Teaching Excellence. All nominees must be nominated by an NEA affiliate.
Learn more about the online nomination process at the NEA Foundation’s website.