Are you as protected as you think?
If you were suddenly sidelined with an illness or injury, would you be prepared?
- How could your lifestyle change? What could you be forced to sacrifice? Hobbies, travel plans or your built-up assets?
- What about your dependents? Do family members depend on your support? If you’re ill or injured, could they continue their lifestyle?
- How far will your savings go? A severe injury or illness could have you out of work for an extended period of time. How would your current responsibilities be impacted?
- How could your quality of life be impacted? If you’re in the hospital or healing afterward, would worrying about the costs associated with a hospital stay keep you from focusing on your own self-care?
Supplemental insurance can help fill the gap
You may have health insurance and maybe a good chunk of savings, but it may not be enough to cover all the out-of-pocket costs your primary health insurance plan doesn’t cover. This is where supplemental insurance coverage can help.
Supplemental insurance coverage is designed to supplement and fill potential gaps left by your primary health insurance plan, and supplemental insurance benefits are paid directly to you or whomever you choose.
Consider this: Based upon an American Heart Association study of the costs related to cardiovascular disease, only 47% of the costs incurred are direct medical costs, which are likely to be covered by a primary health insurance plan. That means the other 53% are indirect costs and reflect expenses not generally covered by most primary medical plans.*
- Loss of income
- Transportation costs
- Childcare expenses
- Food and lodging
How do I know if I need supplemental insurance?
The following questions may be helpful when considering supplemental insurance:
- If you or a family member were in an accident or developed a serious illness, will your current health plan satisfactorily cover the associated costs?
- Would an unexpected trip to the hospital leave you with unpaid expenses associated with your stay or recovery?
- Could you cover the out-of-pocket costs required under your primary health insurance plan?
- Do you have a plan for additional expenses that could go along with being sick or being out of work?
Supplemental insurance products help cover certain events that happen the most, cost the most and last the longest.
Talk to your Horace Mann agent to learn more about how supplemental insurance can help you prepare for life's unexpected turns.
*Calculated from Total Cost of Coronary Heart Disease. Cardiovascular Disease: A Costly Burden For America – Projections through 2035. 2017, American Heart Association. National Teachers Associates Life Insurance Company, a Horace Mann Company, underwrites Horace Mann supplemental insurance products. Not all products are available in all states.